This easy recipe for Mexican Lasagna has become a regular in our monthly meal plan. I use corn tortillas making it gluten free and an even bigger winner in my book! It probably wouldn’t score any points for calories, but it sure is tasty and quick.
This recipe can be adapted to include a variety of ingredients so you can tailor it to your family’s taste or to use what you already have in the pantry. The picture above shows Mexican Lasagna made with chicken. I also use salsa verde in the recipe, but I have successfully used regular salsa in it. When I did this, I decreased the amount of salsa I used to reduce the “heat” for my younger children.
It also makes a nice freezer meal!
- 2 cooked, shredded chicken breasts, or 1 lb. cooked ground beef
- 2 cans (15.5 oz.) black beans
- 1 can (15.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup salsa verde - I use the Herdez brand
- 12-14 small corn tortillas
- ⅓ cup tomato salsa
- 4 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken with black beans, tomatoes, yogurt, and salsa verde and mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan with corn tortillas.
- Spread half the chicken mixture on top of tortillas and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese on top.
- Cover with another layer of corn tortillas.
- Spread the second half of the chicken mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with one cup of cheese.
- Place the last tortillas on top and spread the tomato salsa over it.
- Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with the final two cups of cheese.
- Place dish in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
You could add corn, jalapeños, or anything else that appeals to your taste. If you are not following a gluten free diet then you could also use flour tortillas.
And I can’t help but add that I know this isn’t authentic Mexican food, but I have no idea what else to call it. So now I want to know, what’s your favorite Mexican dish? I’m on the hunt for a good salsa verde recipe, do you have one to share?